Church History and Information
First Presbyterian Church of Terrell
The history of the First Presbyterian Church of Terrell is closely related to that of the city itself. A Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1873, the year Terrell was founded. It built a sanctuary that was also used by the Methodists, Baptists, and the Disciples of Christ. The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1876. The present church was then formed by the union in 1905 of the Cumberland Presbyterian and the First Presbyterian Church.
Terrell's first church kindergarten was formed in 1965 at the First Presbyterian Church. Our denomination has traditionally supported education and First Presbyterian has been pleased that our kindergarten continues it's outstanding work with preschool children to this day.
We are extremely happy to have Angus Gascoigne as our new pastor. Pastor Angus was born and raised in England where he earned a BA and MA in Physiological Sciences at Oxford University. He served in Her Majesty's Royal Navy attaining the rank of at Lieutenant. He received an MBA from Texas A&M, Commerce, Texas and his divinity degree from SMU Perkins School of Theology as Magna-cum-Laude in 2009. He has filled the pulpit for the First Presbyterian Church many times over the past two years. His presence and his sermons are a blessing to our church.